|Darjeeling, west bengal, India. touristplacesinindia.com|
Listed below are some of the historical colonial churches in Darjeeling:
St. Jude Catholic Church, Darjeeling :
|St. Jude Catholic Churchtraveltriangle.com|
There are some colonial churches in Darjeeling that are still functional. St. Jude Catholic Church is said to be one of the oldest churches built in 1892. The impressive clock tower was built in 1883. The church came into being with a view to catering to the spiritual needs of British India military and the Catholic community settled on this hill. In the wake of India's independence from the British rule in August 1947, the Church activities declined with the departure of many European families. The church continued to remain non-functional for a long time. The local Indian catholic community put in a lot of efforts to get the church opened for regular services and prayer.
St. Andrew's Church, an old Anglican Church on the Mall Road in Darjeeling town, was built in 1844 and the foundation was laid in 1843. Named after the patron saint of Scotland St. Andrew, it was a fine piece of architecture built in Gothic Style that was widely followed in Europe. The Gothic origin of this architecture is believed to date back to 12th century AD. The church, having been damaged earlier due to an earthquake, was rebuilt in 1873. In the colonial period, it was the primary church for the soldiers of Scottish decent and tea planters on the hill. The seating capacity of the church was about about 200 persons. There is a small brass plaque in memory of Charlotte Countess Canning, wife of the Governor General of that time -1847.
The fine features include the pointed arch, the ribbed vault and the flying buttress, most of which is found in the St. Andrew's Church.
|Interior. St. Andrews, Darjeeling, WB mohkum.aminus3.com|
It is close to the railway station just 1.5 km.
Immaculate Conception Cathedral, Darjeeling:
|Immaculate Conception CathedralDarjeeling, traveltriangle.com|
Located on Loreto convent road, in Chauk bazaar, the Immaculate Conception Church was built in 1892. Earlier Sunday services were conducted in the chapel of Loreto Convent until 1884. The first foundation stone for a public place of worship was laid on 19th May 1884 near St. Joseph’s seminary, Sunny Bank, by the Capuchin fathers. Its foundation ceremony was conducted by Archbishop Goethals in the same year of construction - 1892. The dimension of the church is 113 feet X 28 feet with fine oratories (private prayer places) on both sides of the sanctuary. This church was under the care and management of Belgium Jesuits till 1947. After India's independence, the Canadian Jesuits of the Catholic Mission of Darjeeling, Fr John Prendergast was the first Canadian Jesuit installed as the Parish Priest. Ms. Agnes Margaret was the one who was first baptised on 3rd November 1846 by Fr John McGirr after just 24 days of his coming to Darjeeling, according to Church records. Fr Alphonse Scharlaeken, a Belgium Jesuit, not only learned the Lepcha script but also took interestin the tribes living there and later attracted the Nepalese to Catholic faith.
St. Columbas Kirk, Darjeeling:
Located in Limbugaon, St. Columbas Kirk is yet another Scottish church in Darjeeling built in 1894. Close to the railway station just
|St. Columbas Kirk, Darjeeling, WB traveltriangle.com/|
|St. Columbus church, Darjeeling, India .trekearth.com|
uphill, it is known for its fine structure set in a quiet environment and the stained glass windows in the church enhance the beauty of this place of worship that was associated the family of Peterson Lennox Black-wood. No doubt, the quiet surrounding place endowed with nature's beauty will calm your mind and create a suitable atmosphere to engage in prayer and meditation.