|Gujarat College, Ahmedabad, Collegedunia.com|
|Gujarat College, Ahmedabad, panoramio.com|
Gujarat Arts & Science College, earlier known as Gujarat College, is considered one of the oldest educational institution of India and second arts and science college in the state now called Gujarat. Located near the famous Ellis Bridge, Ahmedabad. the institution came into being in 1860 as a small government-run educational institute under the expert guidance of T. C. Hope. Public donations and charity through the efforts of Hope paved the way for the start of this institution, then called Gujarat Providential College. But it stopped functioning in 1872 for unknown reason. However, in 1879, it began to function the under management of the Gujarat College Committee, that was headed by a local textile magnate, Rai Bahadur Sheth Ranchhodlal Chotalal, a good administrator. The college owes a debt of gratitude Seth Chotall's grandson and philanthropist Sardar Sir Chinubhai Madhavalal ICE, who, in 1897 donated 33 acres of land, besides generous cash donations roughly Rs.29 lakhs
($ 40,000.00) for the expansion of Gujarat College. A whooping sum in those days.
|Sardar Sir Chinubhai Madhavalal gasc.gujarat.gov.in|
With these donations, Madhavlal Ranchodlal Science Institute (named after father of Sir Chinubhai), Sydenham Library and George V Hall were built under the supervision of Engineer, Rai Bahadur Himmatlal Dhirajram Bhachech, who was President of Ahmadabad Municipality at that time. The buildings were inaugurated by Lord George Sydenham Clarke (4 July 1848 – 7 February 1933), a British Army officer and colonial administrator
in 1912, 1915 and 1917 respectively.
|Lord George Sydenham Clarke en.wikipedia.org|
Above image: George Sydenham Clarke, 1st Baron Sydenham of Combe GCSI, GCIE, GCMG, GBE (4 July 1848 – 7 February 1933). He served in India as Governor of Bombay between 1907 and 1913. Earlier for two years he served as the Governor of Victoria, Australia.
With more funds Rs. 10 lakhs (roughly $ 16,000.00 from Sir Chinubhai Madhavalal, additional buildings came up on the sprawling campus. After India's independence, the college saw continuous growth and development. Affiliated to Gujarat University, besides regular courses, this historical college offers full time degree courses in Drama.
This college has close links with the freedom struggle during the Raj. A historical meeting was held by Gandhiji on College campus under the presidency of V.J. Patel on 28 September 1920. Gandhiji explained the atrocities committed by the British and asked the students to join the quit India movement. Upon his appeal, countless students and teaches left the government-run institution to join the Gujarat vidhyapith run by Gandhiji. It was a positive response from the students community.
The campus became a hot bed of quit India movement in 1942.
During the Quit India Movement in 1942 in the student's rally anti- British solangs were raised which led to the shooting to death of one student by the name of Vinod Kinariwala. He was shot dead by an English policeman inside college campus, on 9 August 1942. In 1947 a memorial was built on campus in his honor.
Kasturbhai Lalbhai - a leading industrialis, Ambalal Sarabhai - a leading industrialist, V. Mavlankar - first speaker of Lok Sabha, Vikram Sarabhai - noted scientist and Chinubhai Madhowlal Ranchhodlal, 2nd Baronet of Shahpur are some of the well-known alumni of this college.
This college is being administered by the Education Department of Government of Gujarat.