|Lord Buddha'a statues, Dhauli, Odisha. Alamy|
|Peace Stupa, Dhalui, Orissadreamstime.com|
|Lord Buddha'a statues, Dhauli,www.dhauli.net|
Thus king Chandashoka became Dharmashoka, a simple and peace loving person and the Buddhist monk who brought about the change in him was one Upagupta. Ashoka spent much of his time erecting monuments in Dhauli, glorifying the value of non-violence and peace. Dhauligiri is synonymous with the victory of non violence over violence and evil of war. In the annals of human history and wars, no other war has brought upon a change in the heart and soul of the victor from one of pride and wanton cruelty to that of an extreme piety and humility as this great Kalinga war. The rapid expansion of Buddihism took its roots in the aftermath of this violent war.
The Shanti Stupa, the white tomb situated on the small hills of Dhauligir is in white, symbolic of world peace, so it is also known as "Peace Pagoda". This great monument was built by Japan Buddhist Sangh and the Government of Odisha in 1971-72. There are
four statues of Goutam Buddha in different postures facing four different direction of Shanti Stupa. Two of them in meditative state, one standing and another in sleeping posture. Fine inscribtions in the form of statues or images and details about the Kalinga war are found on the walls of the Shanti Stupa.
The most significant attraction for the tourists from other parts of India and abroad, in particular SE Asia, are the famous Edicts of Ashoka These edicts were brought to light way back in 1837-38 by one Lieut. M. Kittoe and for the first time. Written in Magadhi Prakrita Language and the early Brahmi script it was studied by James Princep. At Jaugada, near Kabisurya Nagar in Ganjam district of Odisha, similar Rock Edicts of Ashoka are found. It shows Ahoka's ken interest to spread the message of Lord Buddha across the land during his life time.