|Thiruvananthapuram-Kerala Government Secretariat.Google Sites|
|Thiruvananthapuram-Kerala Government Secretariat.TripAdvisor|
It was here in the Durbar Hall His Highness Chithira Tirunal, the last king of Travancore, ascended the throne in a ceremony held at the Secretariat. The Kerala State Legislative Assembly functioned here from 1939 before it moved over to the new assembly building, the foundation stone of which was laid on 12 December, 1933 by Lord Willingdon, the then Viceroy. it was opened on 6 February, 1939 by eminent lawyer and Dewan of Travancore Sir C. P. Ramaswami Iyer. In the same year, the Second Sri Mulam popular Assembly convened.
|The Kerala Government Secretariat ien.wikipedia.org/|
The three storied central block of the Durbar Hall has many departments.The Old Assembly Hall is on the ground floor of the Central Block. The new additions on either side of the central block are the North Sandwich Block, that houses office of Kerala Chief Minister, offices of few cabinet ministers and cabinet rooms and the South Sandwich Block that has primarily offices Government secretaries, etc.
Known during the princely period as the Huzur or Puthen Kacheri, it was renamed the Government Secretariat in 1949.