|Allahabad High Court Building Allahabad High Court|
|Allahabad High Court Building Neeraj Garg|
During the East India company rule Allahabad was the seat of Government of North-Western Provinces and obviously and a High Court was established in 1834. But, it was moved over to Agra within a year. For administrative reasons, the High Court was shifted in 1868 back to Allahabad. It was functioning in the Accountant General's office at the University of Allahabad complex. Allahabad High Court
was one of the first high courts to be established
Above image: The above is an image of the second of the Maxim Cards showing the building of the Allahabad High Court. The two postage stamps depict the Allahabad High Court (Rs.15/- stamp) and the Lucknow Bench of the Allahabad High Court Rs.5/- stamp). The Cancellation is of New Delhi and is dated 13.03.2016............................
Established in 1869 the unique feature of this old building is its double roofing, made with Allahabad Tiles on top, to beat the summer heat. This building is most suitable to tropical climate. During the colonial time, there was no air-conditioning and countless buildings had high ceiling with enough ventilation to keep the interior cool. Allahabad High court was built by Khan saheb Nizamuddin of Loha Mundi, Agra, India. He also donated the water fountain to the High court.
01. "But the building of the new High Court and of the new government offices, which are those excellent red rectangular two storied buildings still to be seen in Queens Road, was proceeding. The four blocks were designed by Colonel Peile, of the Public Works Department, the two on the west of Queens Road as the Government Secretariat and the Accountant General’s office respectively, and those on the east as the High court and the Board of Revenue. They are said to have cost thirteen lakhs, which by modern standards appears exceedingly cheap. The old ‘Gazetteer’ of the North-Western Provinces relates that the new High court was completed about 1870".
02. The name was correspondingly changed to the High Court of Judicature at Allahabad from 11 March 1919.
03. The Oudh Judicial Commissioner’s Court on 2 November 1925, the Oudh Judicial Commissioner’s Court was replaced by the Oudh Chief Court at Lucknow as per the Oudh Civil Courts Act of 1925. It was enacted by the United Provinces Legislature with approval from the previous Governor General.
04. The Chief Court of Oudh was amalgamated with the High Court of Allahabad on 25 February 1948.
05. When the state of Uttarakhand (Uttaranchal) was carved out of Uttar Pradesh in 2000, Allahabad high court ceased to have jurisdiction over the districts that came under it.
06. The main seat of the court is at Allahabad and it maintains a permanent circuit bench at Lucknow, the capital of the state. The maximum number of serving judges is 160, the highest in India.