|St. Paul’s Methodist Church Meerut Cantt. Flickr|
During the East India company's rule and later under the administration of the British government in London in the 19th century, Meerut city became an important military base. Later a cantonment came into being to settle down the British and Europeans and their families. In order to take care of the spiritual needs of a big community of white settlers, a lot of churches came up, including some Methodist churches.
St. Paul’s Methodist Church on Roorkee Road, Meerut Cantt. is a place of worship in the British military cantonment of Meerut, some 40 kms north-west of Delhi when India was directly administered by the British Crown. Its members were mostly British working for the army. Its foundation stone was laid by Major General Cyril John Deverell CB, the Commander of the United Provinces District on 18 April 1924. The Church is believed to have been built in the year 1941. It is constructed with a rather plain red bricks
A stone inscription inside the church reads as follows “ In commemoration of members of the Royal Army Corps, and others, who met in Christian Fellowship in this Church from 1941 to 1947, under the leadership of Methodist Ministers Rev. R. G. Varney and his wife Gwladys, followed by Rev. R. W. Hopper B.D., acting Presbyterian and United Board Chaplin, supported by his wife Greta, at the Manse, 1 R A Lines, Barrack Street, Meerut.”