|CSI Wesley church, secundrabadTelenganahttp://www.telanganafirst.in|
Garrison Wesley Church at Trimulgherry in the Cantonment area, Secunderabad, Telengana state, is one of the oldest English churches in India. The work began in 1853 while EIC was ruling the country. Perhaps this church has the oldest foundation in the Telengana region. But the church was completed only in 1883 when the British Crown was directly running the administration. The church came up with a view to catering to needs of mainly the British military and its army officers. Unfortunately, this church was not in good shape due to poor maintenance after India's independence in August, 1947.
Until 1878, the church construction work was stalled. It was one
Rev. William Burgess, who came from Madras in 1878 took serious steps to get the church work going. He was assisted by Rev. Charles Walker Posnett who had to move over to Medak oversee the construction of Medak Church. The church did not have a bell on it's own before. The ship from London that was carrying Lillian Burgess and Arthur Burgess, wife and son of Rev William Burgess along with a bell for the church, sank midway and the bell got lost in the sea. Even today, the church does not have a bell. This church that has a hoary past was built with lime and mortar. The restoration work was given to a firm in Kanyakumari district in Tamil Nadu that specializes in heritage structures. For the finishing job, it is said, the company used fine concentrates, comprising mixture of eggs, jaggery, herbs, aloe vera leaves (Aloe vera is a succulent plant species of the genus Aloe), fine lime powder and lime mortar well ground with jute.
In order to retain this historical place of Christian worship and its heritage value, it was recently renovated back to its old grandeur and glory. When the old rafters came off, leaving the structure weak, prompt action had been taken to restore the structure. The restoration work cost rupees one crore. After renovation, the church was rededicated in a ceremony held in December, 2014.
The credit goes to then Pastor, The Rev. S. P. Vidyasagar who laid much emphasis on the restoration of the old church instead of building a new one and the then-Moderator's Commisary, G. Dyvasirvadam who agreed to raise the funds for restoration. This church comes under the aegis of the Protestant Church of South India (CSI) within the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the Diocese of Medak. This historical church is the silent reminder of the past glory of the British era.
01. It was in 1878 the Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society was formed in Hyderabad by the missionaries led by Henry Little, William Burgess and the Indian Evangelist Benjamin Wesley. They took early efforts towards the spread of the Gospel and helped establish many churches in areas northward of Hyderabad and attracted the new Christian converts.
02. Rev. Charles Walker Posnett was mainly responsible for constructing the Cathedral at Medak, Telengana the largest in Asia that can accommodate 5000 people at the same time.
http://www.thehindu.com / The Hindu / Home> News> National> Telangana / by Ravi Reddy / Hyderabad – December 21st, 2014