|Ancient Indian woman. abhisays.com|
Given below are some facts about Indian women and their long gradual upward journey in a conservative society like India.
Some facts of Indian women:
|The wrong one!! Indian swayamwara - choosing the partner. . www.santabanta.com|
|Unfortunate girl with her old husband.www.dnaindia.com|
|coot and the young girl. thepresentindia.blogspot.com|
|polygamy, India www.marryinaweek.com|
|Razia Sultana, Slave DynastyRazia Sultana (1205-1240) was the daughter of Iltutmish and the most deserving contender to the throne of Delhi after the death of Iltutmish.. |
www.rapidleaks.com . www.indianetzone.com
|Chand Bibi: was a Muslim woman warrior. She acted as the Regent of Bijapur (1580–90) and Regent of Ahmednagar (1596–99). best known for defending Ahmednagar against the Mughal forces of Emperor Akbar in 1595.www.gyanipandit.com|
|Shivaji and mother Jijabai. www.quora.com|
|Abolition of Sati. Gov. Gen. Bentinck william.en.wikipedia.org|
07. The practice of Sati - self immolation by a widow on husbands funeral pyre and Jauhar - the practice of voluntary immolation by wives and daughters of defeated warriors, in order to avoid capture and consequent molestation by the enemy became defunct long long ago. Abolition of Sati was effected under Governor-General
|rajaram Mohanroy. www.rapidleaks.com|
09. The practice of Purdah among some Muslim communities of India requiring women to cover themselves in front of males for the purpose of modesty is not very much prevalent in India now as more Indian Muslim women go to work in MNCs, especially in IT companies. Purdah system does exist in some small towns and cities among the conservative Muslim communities.
10. Devadasi - The temple dancing girl is still a misunderstood religious practice. It was practiced in southern India, in which women were "married" to a deity or temple. Later the society showed them in bad light and the stigma, nowadays does not exist. Devadasis were the forerunners of Bhratanatyam, an important classical dance of India that was popularized by Rukmani Arundale
(1904 – 1986), a great exponent of Bharata Natyayam and a revivalist in the Indian classical dance form of Bharatanatyam from its original 'sadhir' style, prevalent among the temple dancers.
11. During the British Raj, Many reformers such as Ram Mohan Roy, Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar and Jyotirao Phule fought for the betterment of women.
|Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar. www.slideshare.net|
12. An interesting aspect is, the wives of Christian evangelists contributed their mite to educate the Indian women during the colonial period. Martha Mault née Mead and her daughter Eliza Caldwell née Mault were pioneers in the training of girls in south India
13. Raja Rammohan Roy's efforts led to the abolition of Sati under Governor-General William Cavendish-Bentinck in 1829. Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar's political battle led to the Widow Remarriage Act of 1856. Many women reformers such as Pandita Ramabai also helped the cause of women.
The present day Indian women have to go a long way to enjoy full freedom on par with men.