|. St John's Church - Calcutta Flickr|
|St John's Church Kolkata.The Victorian Web|
The St. John’s Church, was completed in 1787 to serve the British population in Calcutta. Warren Hasting was the one who laid the foundation stone for the church in 1784 in his capacity as the Governor general of India. It was the first colonial building in this part of Bengal under the control of the East India company and at that time Calcutta had just become the capital of EIC's trading operations and governance of the lands secured by them in India. There were other churches - the Armenian and the Old Mission Church. and this church happened to be the third one. It was built on a huge plot donated by Nabo Kishen Bahadur, from a rich family in that place. Modeled after St Martin-in-the-Fields of London, it served as the Anglican Cathedral of Calcutta (Kolkata) till 1847 when it was transferred to St. Paul’s Cathedral. It was designed by the military engineer James Agg and is made of stones and bricks. The marbles from the ruins of Gaur were used for flooring, etc.
|St John's Church Kolkata._www.flickr.com|
|The Pipe Organ of St John's Church in Kolkata. en.wikipedia.org|
|St John's Church Kolkata en.wikipedia.org|