Saturday, 26 September 2015

Mother Teresa got her first training here - Padri Ki Haveli , Patna, India

   Padri Ki Haveli ("Mansion of Padre") ,  also known as St Mary's Church,  was built in 1772  in East Patna or Patna City, Bihar, India  by Roman Catholics who arrived in this region in 1700s. This  was the first oldest Christian shrine of Bihar. Venetian architect Tirreto from Calcutta undertook the design and  construction of foundation work of this historical church measuring  70-feet- long,40-feet-wide and 50-feet-high.
padri ki haveli (St. Mary's church).patnaindiantouristblog.wordpress.com
 

The church today is an architectural wonder with intricate details and workmanship which other churches lack. Among other things, the large cathedral bell is the main attraction of this old church. This church had close connection with Mother Teresa of Calcutta, the founder of the Missionaries of Charity and she carried her caring and nursing activity to many peoples from this church only. She stayed here in a small room for three months during the year 1948 for training at Holy Family Hospital.  The room is still preserved by the Missionaries of Charity and has a cot, a table and many other items used by Mother Theresa. Lots of tourists  come here to see the things used  by the  Mother. Built amidst a beautiful surroundings, the historical church offers  a perfect ambiance for the ardent devotees to offer their prayer in peace and get the blessings of Mary and the lord.

In 1948 mother Teresa stayed in the small room, St. Mary's church, Patna.indiantouristblog.wordpress.com
In 1740 the Rani of Bettiah (in West Champaran) was seriously ill and could not be cured by the local  medicine men.  The ruler sought the help of Father Joseph Mary - a medical doctor, a resident of Patna. Miraculously the doctor saved the life of local ruler's wife, upon which the grateful  Raja  allowed the Christian father to spread his religion and was helpful to him.  At Bettiah (Bihar) in 1769 a Christian mission was established after obtaining necessary permission from the Vatican.

The church was built at a time when the English traders in Patna and Nawab Mir Kasim, the ruler of Bengal, were at loggerheads  over trade-related matter.  As usual the wily British traders took the magnanimity of the  Indian ruler for granted and there was no sign of any compromise between the foreigners and the Muslim ruler. In one of the skirmishes on June 25, 1763, the Haveli was pillaged by the Nawob's soldiers for its treasures, and in the process,  the valuable ancient records were destroyed and burnt. During the Sepoy mutiny of 1857,  94 years later some of the church buildings were damaged.


Among the historical attractions of Patna city, this Church built by the Italians is an important one. Mother Teresa's stay here in 1948 enhanced the sanctity of this place of worship.

Ref:
http://www.bihareebabu.com