|Holy Trinity Church,Secunderabad, churchesinindia-dany.blogspot.com|
|Holy Trinity Church,Secunderabad, S.India.. www.thehindu.com|
Above image: The land for the Holy Trinity Church (in picture) was donated by the Nizam...........
Holy Trinity Church, managed by the Church of South India (under the Diocese of Medak), is in the Bolarum locality of Secunderabad, near Hyderabad. It was built in 1847, exactly 100 year before India's independence from the British rule. This church of medium size was built in the Victorian Gothic style and the stained glass windows fixed there are reminiscent of those beautiful English country churches. The other stained glass works at the altar, the pulpit, etc are very attractive.
The piece of information that might interest you is, the land on which the church stands, was donated by the Nizam of Hyderabad, once a powerful Muslim ruler. Queen Victoria herself took keen interest in this Anglican church and donated money from her personal funds. This church was built with a view to serving the British Army officers based there as Secunderabad was a cantonment town and a lot of Indian Christian families were also living in that area. In 1983, Queen Elizabeth II visited the church and celebrated her 36th wedding anniversary there, in a service led by Bishop Victor Premasagar.
In the interior of the Church on the walls are displayed tablets commemorating the deaths of parishioners, especially British Army officers and their families.