|Medak Cathedral Medak,S.India. www.flickr.com|
|Medak Cathedral,Medak in Telangana, biggest church in Asia www.cutytravel.com.|
|Medak church,Medak,S.India. inner view. teluguprjalu.blog|
The idea to build a church in Medak came from the English Missionary Charles Walker Posnett of the English Wesleyan Methodist order. He built a small church dedicated to Christ near a hill, now in ruins, and is still there. The present Medak Cathedral is constructed in white granite stone and is a massive but outstanding building that can accommodate 5000 people for the mass at a time.
The Medak Cathedral is famous not only for its capacity to hold a huge congregation of devotees at the same time but also for the beautiful stained glass windows that adorn it. There are two large stained glass windows on either side of the altar and the third in the center on top of the altar. All have scenes from the Bible. These stained glass windows were not fixed at the time when the church was built but were added later. The windows were designed by Sir. O. Salisbury and installed at different periods - the Ascension in 1927, the Nativity in 1947, and the Crucifixion in 1958.
The striking bell tower in front of the church has a magnificent bell and the imposing church tower stands proudly tall, reaching up to the sky and sending a message to heaven. The dimensions of the church and all the numbers associated with it are certainly impressive. The construction of the church began 100 years ago and the church stands for unity and Peace. It is 100 ft. in width and 200 ft in length and the height is 173 ft.
The history of Medak Church is also the history of the life and work of the Methodist Missionary, Rev. Charles Walker Posnett, who arrived in Secunderabad in 1895 from England to look after the religious needs of British soldiers in the region. From there he came to Medak in 1896, riding on a horse as there was no other means of transport in those days. The Christians in the area, at the time formed a small community comprising about 200 and they used a small house as a chapel where they could pray and worship. Rev. Posnett built a small building in the compound where the mission was located to take care of increasing Christian population.
After some years he thought that the building was not big enough for his parish and he laid the foundation stone of the present Medak Church in 1914 on 1000 acres of land at Ghusnabad. The compassionate missionary mitigated the suffering of the local people regardless of caste, creed and religion and gave them food and work during famine, thus upholding the virtues of human dignity, compassion and love for which Christ lost his precious life. This church is an embodiment of 'True Christian Spirit of love and care' in the right sense.