|1000 year old. Baijnath_Temple,Uttrakhand en.wikipedia.org|
|1000 year old. Baijnath_Temple, Uttrakhand, tripadvisor com.|
At Bajinath temple complex in all shrines Goddess Parvati is enshrined with her husband Shiva, indeed a rare sight. The complex is along the banks of Gomati river at an elevation of 1,125 m (3,691 ft) above msl. There are as many as 102 stone images of divinity, out of which only some idols are earmarked for worship and the rest are under the custody of the ASI - the Archaeological Survey of India and there are no puja protocols for them. Presumably, the reason here is preservation of such old images. They may be unfit for daily puja, etc as they may be weak, ready to crumple. It seems many of the images appear to be made of metamorphic rocks that are not as strong as igneous rocks like granite or granodiorite. Vaidyanath (Shiva), Parvati, Nritya Ganapati, Karttikeya, Narsimha, Brahma, Mahishasurmardini, Sapta Nartikas, Surya, Garuda and Kubera are the other deities being worshiped here.
Baijnath town (Bageshwar district) is at a distance of 22 km from Bageshwar and 16 km from Kausani. The style of temple architecture seems to be ''Nagara'' type, quite common in the state of Odisha. What is quite interesting is the presence of numerous alcoves with images of gods and Goddesses from the Hindu pantheon on the exterior walls of the temple.
|Baijnath_Temple, Uttrakhand, flicker.com|
big stone bull is placed facing the sanctum which is made of
five projections on every side and a tall curved shikhar (spire).
The legend has it that Lord Shiva and Parvati were married at the confluence of river Gomati and Garur Ganga at this quiet place. The local folklore also says that temple was built by a Brahmin women, who was an ardent devotee of lord Shiva. Yet another legend says that God Ganesha tricked the Lanka king Ravana who wanted to take the Shivalinga (given to him by the lord himself) to his country. Taking the guise of a shepherd he helped Ravana relax for a while and place the linga there. Later, the king was unable to lift it and move it over to Lanka. It was stuck there firmly there.
The other temples go by the name of Kedareshwar, Laxmi Narayan, Brahmi Devi etc. The temple complex was built by the Katyuri kings who were followers of Shaivaism sect. For unknown reasons they shifted their capital from Joshimath to Kartikeyapura, and large number of people followed them to this place . With a view to catering to their spiritual needs, the ruler built the temples here; the main one is dedicated to Vaidyanath - Shiva.
Thanks to the Katyuri queen who ordered the construction of a flight of steps made of stone right from the riverside for the benefit of the pilgrims.
|Baijnath_Temple stone thelandoutthere.com/|
The temple complex dates back to AD 1202 as per several temple inscriptions. The Rohillas (Muslim rulers) in AD 1743-1744 plundered the temples and damaged the Shikhar of the main shrine. King Gyan Chand took the initiative and rebuilt it during his reign.