Regular running or jogging offers a plethora of health and longevity benefits. Pre-exercise medical screening is a necessity and it is a ''safety valve'' for you and the enormous benefits of exercise outweigh the risks for you. The advantages of running/ jogging are enormous.
01. It improves the strength of bones and weight-bearing muscles as it is a sort of weight bearing exercise.
02. It vastly improves heart muscles, blood circulation and staying power. Overall improvements of cardio vascular fitness.
03. Reduction in heart-rate/minute over a long period of time, reducing the work load of heart to the minimum.
04. Lots of calories are burnt promoting a healthy weightm that may give you physical and mental agility.
05. It improves lungs' capacity and, over a period of time, you will realize how effortlessly you climb the stairway to the 3rd or 4th floors. 'Panting' will go down considerably after a strenuous physical activity.
06. It makes the arteries and blood vessels stronger and reduces BP. The more you exercise the more will be the palpitation.
07. Regular exercise controls the blood-sugar level.
08. According to recent studies conducted by Victoria University and Sydney university of Australia, jogging/running not only reduces 30% risk from death due to heart failure, but also reduces 23% risk from death caused by cancer.
08. Because of reduction in fatigue and overall improvement of stamina, it improves your power of concentration and memory power. It promotes better performance at work. The heart with least strains pumps well and supplies oxygen to the brain.
09. The most important advantage is if you are in a pressure-cooker situation, going through a stressed phase, the well-strengthened heart muscles and arteries will absorb the negative effects on the body and help you get over the tense situation. Your approach and attitude will improve for better.
10, At least 5 times a week engage in jogging. A regular daily regimen of 30 minutes to 50 minutes activities will promote good health. Even if you jog once a week for roughly 45 minutes it also reduces the death risk considerably.
11. If you are an early starter, allow a minimum of 4 to 5 weeks to build up to regular running and begin your activities with walking.
a. The advantage of jogging is it has less intensity and can do it in a casual way unlike running that requires better focus, better fitness and strenuous physical activities involving leg muscles, lungs and heart.
b. The benefits of jogging/ running considerably depend on your dietary habits. Over-eating will negate the benefits from aerobic exercises as it will add more calories to your body.
c. As much as possible avoid eating beef, pork, etc., besides junk food and junk sugar-rich drinks. Eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits; wholegrain cereals and low-fat dairy products and pulses give you more dietary benefits than meat. The well-known Irish satirist and humanist Bernard Shaw was a strict vegetarian through out his life. He said 'I hate people who eat animal flesh and dead cells'. Do not exercise soon after a good meal.
d. As for juices, if you take, home-made pomegranate juice, beetroot juice and pineapple juice regularly, it is conducive to good health, They are all good for the heart; beetroot will improve you stamina and you won't get tired easily during physical activities. As for pineapple, it is loaded with potassium which is good for the heart.
e. Many people fail to do stretching exercises before and after jogging. It is a must, it is roughly equal to tuning your hardened muscles before long physical activities.
f. If you are, for the first time, about to get into aerobic activities like jogging, etc., do it in moderation in the beginning. In the initial stages brisk walking will prepare your leg muscles for later strenuous physical activities involving the entire legs. The impact will be heavy on knee-joints. No stretching of muscles before you resume your exercise means you will suffer from severe muscle pull, pain, etc., in the later period.
h. If you are a woman jogger, it is prudent to choose safe, well-lit, and populated routes. Do not ever try isolated, poorly- lit areas; drunks, anti-social people may be bothering you.
i. Like-wise choose air-pollution free areas, particularly do not venture out in the fog. In case, air pollution/air-quality is bad in places like Delhi, avoid out-door physical activities
j. To avoid dehydration, make sure you have plenty of fluids. Take a water bottle with you on your run. Drink plenty of water before, during and after any activity.
k. Avoid running during the hottest part of the day in summer; restrict your jogging in the morning.
m. Choosing the right ground for jogging is a must. Avoid rugged ground. Choose flat, grassy areas rather than hard or loose (such as sandy) surfaces. This will reduce the risk of knee pain, foot pain, etc. The cumulative effect of running on rough ground will be very bad. Choose quality jogging shoes with shock-absorbing material in the heel part. Like-wise wear loose pants and sweat shirt.