|.Christ Church, Kasauli,HP ftd.travel|
|Christ Church, Kasauli,HP tripadvisor in|
Kasauli, which was a colonial hill station, is a cantonment in Solan district of Himachal Pradesh State. Like countless hill stations across India like Ooty in Nilagiri hills of Tamil Nadu, Kodai (Kodaikonal), Tamil Nadu, Darjeeling in West Bengal, etc this hill station was first discovered during the early colonial period. The British officials with the East India Company wanted to escape from the scorching hot summer season and hot weather conditions in the plains and took refuge in cool, lush green hill stations. The cantonment in Kasauli was established by the British in 1842 and it is about 77 km from Shimla, 65 km from Chandigarh, and 94 km from Ambala Cantt (Haryana), an important railway junction of North India. Presently, lots of people visit this hill station to be free from summer heat and hot winds prevailing in the lower plains in the summer. Christ Church in this town is a historical one and is open on all days.
In the early period it was an Anglican church, consecrated on 24 July 1853. At present it is part of CNI - the Church of North India in the diocese of Amritsar since (1970). Located on the Mall street, no body can miss this colonial church which is the oldest one in Himachal Pradesh. Set in a nice, picturesque ambiance with tall trees around, this church attracts lots of heritage lovers. The most striking features in this place of worship are the well-made stained glass windows depicting Christ, Mary, St. Barnabas and St. Francis specially imported from Spain and Italy. When the sun's rays pass through them, the images in the windows come alive and the view is just breath-taking.
|Interior - Christ Church, Kasauli,HP tripadvisor.in|
St. Francis and St. Barnabas.
|Interior - Christ Church, Kasauli,HP trell.co/|
|Interior - Christ Church, Kasauli,HP flicker.com|
Out side the church lies a cemetery with graves and tombstones dating back to 1850s and earlier. There are many graves of British soldiers and others. This church is yet another legacy of the early colonial period under the English company (EIC).