|Palanquin presented to Tipu's sons 1792 by the British .notesonindianhistory.com/|
The two palanquins were made in grand style befitting Tipu Sultan's stature. ''All the moulding round the framing were solid silver highly polished and of the most exquisite workmanship. On the extremities of the bamboo were the heads of various animals elegantly embossed and engraved, to represent life; and the panels exhibited on the different compartments various trophies of war, to accord with the taste of that war-like prince (ie,Tipu Sultan). They were lined with crimson velvet on which the trophies of war, and other ornaments were magnificently embroidered with gold bullion lace''.
The two young princes received the nice palanquins from lady Oakley, wife of Charles Oakley, the Governor of Madras. This was done in the absence of Cornwallis. Cap. Doveton presented the palanquins durong his audiance with Tipu at Srirangapatna. Tipu said, ''I admire them much, but where true friendship exists, a present is nothing but a form''.
A fascinating fact emerges from the history of these palanquins. Tipu never used the palanquins and it remained unpacked till his death in the fourth Angelo-Mysore war in 1799. After his death when the British troops looted his palace, they found the unpacked palanquins presented by the British. However, the company that made the palanquins became popular and were patronized by the rulers of Lucknow and Arcot Nawab.
That Tipu Sultan never touched the palanquins presented to his sons at Madras shows how much hatred he had for the British and why he disliked them. Their long years of exploitation of Indian people, Indian lands and rich Indian rulers had a severe impact on the Psyche of Tipu who fought them till he fell dead on the last battle field at Srirangapatna,
|Gov. Gen. Cornwallis en.wikipedia.org|
He died on 5 October of a fever at Gauspur in Ghazipur, at that time in the Varanasi kingdom. Cornwallis was buried there, overlooking the Ganges River, where his memorial is a protected monument maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India.