|Puri Jagannath temple. Chariot wheels alamy.com|
|Puri Jagannath temple. Chariot wheels getting ready harekrsna.com|
|wheels for the chariots, Puri Jagannath temple gettyimages.com|
|Puri Jagannath temple chariots. Colossal wheels hindu-blog.com|
01. All the three chariots of the Jagannath temple have 42 giant wooden wheels in total. They will not be reused for the following year's temple festival.
02. The chariots and parts of wheels are made at Ratha khala - the place where the chariots take the final shape. Mind you 4000 pieces of wood are required to make rathas.
03. Temple authorities say every year 1000 trees of various species cut to make the rathas. The environmentalists wanted the temple authorities to reuse the rathas. But, they faced stiff opposition from the temple administration.
|Puri Jagannath temple chariots. Colossal wheels blog.sterlingholidays.com|
05. Logs of wood from the following trees are used: Dhaura, Pia sal, Asan, Phasi Bandhan and Kasi. They need to be approved by the hereditary carpenters attached to the temple who are experts in making chariots. Carpenters from outside the temple jurisdiction are not allowed to work on the rathas.
06. In the erstwhile Gadajata region that has many ancient Hindu temples, 32000 cu,ft of timber is required to make chariots and the government provides them quality wood at a reasonable rate to keep the religious functions going at the Hindu temple.
07. Between 2014 to 2016, a total of 38545 cb. feet of timber was supplied by the government for making the Lord's rathas. The cutting of wood is done on the Ramanavami day (birth of Sri Rama) in a saw mill -March or April.
|Puri Jagannath temple. religionworld.in|
world, daily preparing 100000 meals a day for the visiting devotees ..............................................
08. Every year, the three chariots of Sri Jagannath temple require 13000 cb. feet of lumber - a whopping requirement. The forest dept. supplies the wood and delivers it in the area outside the Jagannath Temple office on Vasant Panchami (Saraswati Puja), the birthday of Saraswati, the goddess of knowledge. Delivery of wood has to be done only on that day.
09. About 200 carpenters, tailors, painters, blacksmiths, etc are engaged in a cordinating way to make the rathas and they should finish the job within the prescribed deadline of 58 days.
|Chariot work underway, Puri familyholiday.net|
|chariots of Jagannath temple, Puri theholidayindia.com|
|three chariots of Jagannath temple, Puri swarajyamag.com|
10. Carpenters do not follow the written instruction and the knowledge is passed on to them from generations to generations