|Secunderabad Clock Tower panoramio.com|
|Secunderabad Clock Tower hindi.nativeplanet.com|
Based on a firman issued by Nizam Sikandar Jah, the city of Secunderabad was named after him in 1806. The then colonial government stationed British officers there on official duty for the Nizam and was pleased with their work. To honour the progress made by them at Secunderabad Cantonment in Hyderabad, the erstwhile British government established a plot consisting of 10 acres (4.0 ha) of land for this purpose in 1860. To make the 2.5 acres of park attractive, a 120-ft high clock tower was built in 1896. British Resident Sir Trevor John Chichele Plowden inaugurated the clock tower. Thanks to Dewan Bahadur Seth Lachmi Narayan Ramgopal, a businessman. who donated the clock.
Yet another attraction is a martyr's memorial inside the park in memory of the first police firing in 1969 during a separate Telangana agitation.,The clock tower was declared a heritage structure in the twin cities of Hyderabad-Secunderabad and efforts are afoot to seek UNESCO Heritage status for Hyderabad. It became a logo in 2006, when the 200-year celebrations of the formation of Secunderabad were organised by the Government of Andhra Pradesh.