|Scott Christian College, Nagarcoil. kumaripages.blogspot.com|
|First day cover 2018, Scott Christian College, Nagarcoil. stampdigest.in|
Scott Christian College, which is an autonomous, co-educational, arts and science college in Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu is one of the oldest colleges in this state and was the first one in the erstwhile princely state of Travancore. Founded in 1809 at Mylaudy by Rev William Tobias Ringeltaube, the pioneering missionary of the London Missionary Society in South Travancore, it was Rev. Charles Mead, who in 1818, shifted the Central School or Seminary to Nagercoil town.
In 1860, Dr James Duthie headed the seminary and was instrumental in converting it into a college. Thanks to the generous contribution of 1000 pounds from the Septimus Scott family and a grant from the princely State of Travancore towards the development of this humble institution. It was in 1893, it became a second grade college affiliated to Univ. of Madras. When Rev Dr James Duthie was the principal, there were just 12 students. So, the college, as you may see, had a humble beginning tracing back its origin to a village church. The institution grew under Rev Duthie till the Rev George Parker had taken charge in 1901. The institution saw rapid growth after 1901 and intermediate course was introduced in 1904 in place of FA - First in Arts. Science block came up in 1908 - 1910. Funds from the princely state, Rev. Parker's father-in-law and others were helpful in buying land to build recreation facilities for the students. The college gave equal importance to physical activities of the students so that they could develop better mental health.
One Rev R. H. Eastaff joined the institution on 3 Feb. 1921 to assist Rev Parker and, in the same year, he became the principal as Rev Parker left on furlough. Rev. Eastoff took the credit for starting the Scott Christian College and School Magazine that was published every term during his period of service in the College till Nov. 1923. Later, Eastoff became the head of the Divinity School in Trivandrum. when Rev. Parker rejoined the college. In 1827 Sir G. H. Marsden took charge of the college and improved the facilities in the science department. He also started an Intermediate College that had 140 students initially. For the first time women were admitted to the college. Playing games was made compulsory for the students. Lord Irwin the Viceroy with Lady Irwin paid a visit to the College on 9 December 1929. In 1934
When the University of Travancore came into being in 1938, the Scott Christian College was affiliated to it. By 1943 the number of students in the College had increased to nearly 300 including about 20 women. After 1948, the college saw good progress and the strength of the Intermediate Classes was doubled as a prelude to the introduction of degree classes later. When Kanyakumari District became part of Madras state (now called Tamil Nadu), this college was affiliated to the Univ. of Madras . Sir Marsden retired from the services in 1957. Mr. B. Arumai Raj took charge of this historical college.
Only in the early 1950s degree courses were offered and then this college was affiliated to Madurai Kamaraj university; first affiliation was granted in 1966. In 1970-71 new campus came up to accommodate more students and degree courses. In the same period PG courses were introduced. When Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli was started in 1990, this institution became affiliated to the new university. Now there are many departments that have research facilities and in 2005 it became an autonomous institution in April 2005 and NAAC gave this college A Grade accreditation. Marsden Hostel built in memory of the past principal, was expanded in 2009 and could accommodate more than 500 students.