|Mt. Everest. dailymail.co.uk|
|Mt. Everest, long line to the summit. globalpunjabtv.in|
Refusing to accept the blame the Nepal government claims that the large number of deaths of climbers on Mount Everest this season
is not solely because of the “traffic jam” on the world’s highest peak. They said the contributing factors were high altitude sickness, hypothermia, etc caused by adverse weather. The Nepal tourism ministry said the toll was nine. “Our attention has been drawn to the wrong information about deaths on Everest conveyed by national and international media,” said Dandu Raj Ghimire, director general of the department of tourism (DoT), adding that “traffic jam” did not cause the deaths. The DoT has stated that it had issued 366 expedition permits in 2017 and 346 in 2018. This year it was 381 and it is not a big difference. This false information will hurt our image and mountaineering sector badly.
01. Since 1953, 4400 people have climbed Everest in the climbing season- March to June.
02. Since 1922, over 200 mountaineers have died on Everest.
03. George Mallory was the first British to have died on Everest decades ago in 1924. His body was recovered on first of May 1999. His climbing partner, Andrew "Sandy" Irvine's body is still unknown. It was not confirmed weather he and Irvine had reached the peak and death occurred while descending. Mind you, the standard of mountaineering gear was very poor in those days.
04. In the years 2015 to 2018 less than 6 climbers died on Everest.
06. Over the past two decades the average casualty on Everest has remained about six.
07. Part of adverse weather condition on the Nepalese Himalayas was triggered by the cyclone Fani that had struck India and Bangladesh. In the aftermath 20 tens at the camp were blown away by heavy winds.
08. By mid May the work on fixing bolted rope was completed. The first feasible weather window was 19 and 20 May. But majority of climbers preferred the second weather window 22 to 24 May.
09. A maximum of 250 climbers lined up on 23 May. and this caused the traffic jam. There is a need to improve crowd management.
10. Besides long wait, many climbers risked their lives, as they were low on oxygen.