|Alexander Duff, 1806 - 1878. Scottish missionary and educationalist,wikipedia|
|Duff Church, Kolkata, WB. cnicalcutta.org|
Alexander Duff happened to be sole responsible for the establishment of the church. His close associate Sir. David Ewart (1805-1860) became the first full time pastor of Duff Church. Ewart was fluent in Bengali. an advantage that stood him in good stead. It gave him a chance to preach in the local tongue. Because Duff was always busy on the go concentrating on his missionary work without getting fatigued. Rev. Ewart knew very good Bengali and used to preach in the language and made a valuable contribution to the church in the early stages. Unfortunately Rev. David Ewart passed away in Calcutta on 9th of September 1860.
The new church was named Duff Church in February1910 in honor of Alexander Duff whose contribution in the area of education and Christian services in Bengal was vast. In 1907, there were only 150 Bengali members and the principal of the Scottish Church College Dr. James Watt served the church for a long period.
Consequent upon the union of Church of Scotland and the Duff Church of Calcutta in 1929, the church got recognition as the main Presbyterian Church. Presetly known as ‘Prabhu Jishu’ Girja of the Catholics. Mostly English speaking crowd worshipped at this church.
|Duff Church,Kolkata, scottish cemetery. David Ewart|
Legacy: The famous road in North Calcutta-‘Duff Street’, the popular Girls Higher Secondary School in North Calcutta -‘Duff School’ and the historical church on the Easter side of the famous swimming pool Hedua called ‘Duff Church’ prove Alexander Duff's close link with the city of Kolkata that was developed by the British.