|Chittorgarh Fort, near Udaipur, Rajasthan Times of India|
|chittorgarh fort remains. en.wikipedia.org/|
The following are the fascinating facts about this fort.
01. It was built in the 7th century AD by various Mauryan rulers and Chittorgarh Fort is said to have been the capital of the Sisodia and Gahlot kings who ruled Mewar between the 8th and the 16th century. The Chittor Fort was named after Chittrangad Maurya.
02. Except the fort at Delhi, no other Indian fort would have been a silent spectator of rise and fall of so many rulers, of fierce battles and many a tragic event.
|Rani Padmavati threquint.com|
04. The Chittorgarh Fort is a well protected one with seven gateways guarded by a watch tower and iron-spiked doors to prevent war elephants jamming the door.
05. The distinctive feature of this temple is it can withstand any long-drawn siege by the enemies.
|The Gaumukh Reservoiren.wikipedia.org/|
06. Once the fort had a huge water storage system with as many as 84 water bodies occupying half of the fort's space. It had enough capacity to hold about one billion gallons of water and, with rainfall, enough to maintain an army of 50,000 for four years without fear of thirst.
07. But, now there are only 22 water bodies left in the fort complex and the rest became useless.
|Architectural details from the Kirti Stambh.wikipedia.org|
08. The notable structures of this fort are the Vijay Stambh or ‘the tower of victory’ and the Kirti Stamb. The former was built by Maharana Kumbha in memory of his triumph over Mohammed Khilji in the 15th century and the latter was built in the 12 th century dedicated to the Jain intellectual Adinath Ji).
09. From the folklore and ballads available in plenty in Rajasthan on Padvamati, we understand she was the queen of exceptional beauty of Chittor, a woman who had an irresistible aura about her.
|Alauddin Khilji (r. 1296–1316) Siasat|
|Rana Kumbha Palace located near Chittorgarh FortTravelTriangle|
|Padmavati committing Jauhar -self-immolation. myIndiamyGlory|
|Sri krishna temple. Alamy|
|Chittorgarh. fort Medium|
|Jauhar kund mass immolaton took place, Chittorgarh Fort, detechter.com/|
17. Rana Kumbha and Rana Sanga (whose queen Rani Karnavati is also said to have performed jauhar when Bahadur Shah ransacked Chittorgarh)