|the kaiser pasand palace wikimedia.org|
The Kaisebagh palace was designed in such a way that it had three essential parts. The public place was meant for melas, the conduct of coronation function and also meeting place of the rulers and the subjects. These areas were open to the public and subjects of the king. Also present were the religious buildings like the Friday mosque and temples. The second important part of the palace complex was the residential quarters of the king along with his officials, library, the treasury, hammams, private mosque etc. And finally, there were the residential quarters of the queens. The zenana formed a large part of the whole palace complex, and this being due to the fact the Muslim rulers had a large number of queens. Located in the innermost part of the complex, it was well guarded by female attendants and eunuchs. Only the king and selected guests \could access these spaces. A highly restricted part of the complex and the ladies had a perfect privacy free from unwanted male intruders.
The palace can be accessed from the Hazratganj Street and entered from an open space in front of the Tarawali Kothi (SBI guesthouse). The strange feature is the entrance street was lined on one side by stables. In the 1800s, this gate was the place where there was a Press Club. It is believed the ruler used to give audience to the public from this gate. It was high enough to watch the royal procession on elephants, etc. The Mermaid gate or the China Bazaar gate at the end of the bazaar is also called Mermaid gate as it had a pediment on top and two green colored mermaids stuccoed above the arched gateway. In the bazaar, many Chinese decorated items were sold. Nawab Wajid Ali’s Prime Minister, Nawab Ali Naqvi Khan, used to stay on top of this gate as revealed by old photographs.
|Kaiserbagh palace (part) indianholiday.com/|
|Kaisrer Pasand palace, Lucknow ldindianphotos.in|
|Destroyed by the British Kaisebagh Pasand Palace, Lucknow, India ogimages.bl.uk/images|
Enclosed by walled structures, Kaiserbagh contained large buildings like Kaiser Pasand, Chaulakhi Kothi ( made by the Nawab 's barber), Lanka, and the tombs. During the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857, the popular Queen and famous freedom fighter Begum Hazrat Mahal resided here.
During rainy and summer seasons the ruler used to occupy Makan-e-Khas and Falak Sair of the south facing Shahenshan manzil. The adjacent vast beautiful garden provided an ideal place for rest and relaxation. The British demolished all these buildings in 1858. The Huzoor Bagh was the royal garden with the king’s apartments on three sides and a Baradari in the center, probably the Chandiwali Baradari.
The Kaiserbagh quadrangle is accessed and exited through two identical gates. They are out of the palace complex towards the Kaiser Pasand located at the southwest corner of the Kaiserbagh palace. Built by Roshan-ud-daula it was confiscated by the ruler and renamed it Kaiser Pasand. It is believed, it was here his favorite lady Begum Mashuq Mahal used to reside. Interestingly the Lakhi Gate and Kaisar Pasand and Constantia, built in 1800 by Claude Martin with two crossed arches imaging a dome as the pinnacle of the building have the same elevation. The striking Nawabi architectural extravaganza is the perfect fusion of both classical European and Mogul designs. The palace complex could accommodate a large number of people. Because these complexes were not self-sufficient, the outer periphery of the palace became well-populated populated to provide luxuries and necessities to the royal court.The Kaiserbagh Palace is an interesting destination in Lucknow what you are seeing is only remnants of the old palace. The merciless destruction of this palace by the British Army under the East India Company consisting mainly of Europeans during the Sepoy rebellion is a dark chapter in Indian history.