|The Church of St. Lawrence Sinquerim, GoaYouTube|
|St. Lawrence Church - Agassaim Trawell.|
|map of Goa. Lonely Planet|
Also known as ‘Sao Lourence Igreja em Sinquerim, Goa’ in Portuguese, the St. Lawrence Church, Sinquerim, Goa has another local name -‘The Sinquerim Church’. The Franciscans in 1636 took over the church from the Portuguese head and in 1638 it became a Parish, separate from the Parish of Candolim. Soon after the exit of the Franciscans in 1776 for unknown reasons, the management of the Parish and the hospice there became the responsibility of the Diocesan clergy; they began to take over the pastoral care of the parish.
|The Church of St. Lawrence Goa iamgoan.wordpress.com|
|The Church of St. Lawrence Goa JoeGoaUk - GOA - Blogger|
Towards the end of the Monsoon season, the celebration of St. Lawrence is held every year to praise the lord for guarding the seafarers /sailors and it will coincide with the end of terrible rainy season on the west coast of India. It means the ocean and water ways are safe enough for the boats and ships to sail. In past, the actual cutting of a rope extended over the stream symbolized the festival of the celebration. On the 10th of August every year, The Feast is held and is being attended by the patrons. The feat marks the reopening of the sandbars in the Mandovi river to river traffic and the end of the monsoon. The feast day usually coincides with Narali Purnima. Since June, 1991, the Sinquerim parish has been under the control of the members of the Order of the Friars Minor Capuchin’s.
The following places of interest are within 10 km from this place:
Panaji – 9.5 km, Basilica Of Bom Jesus – 8.5 km, Sao Antonio Island – 9.2 km, Naval Aviation Museum – 8.5 km and Church And Convent Of St Francis Of Assisi – 8.8 km.