|Founder Christian Medical College, Vellore. youtube.com|
|Founder CMC Ida S. Scudder as a young woman/en.wikipedia.org|
|Vellore Christian Medical College. CollegeDekho|
|Vellore Christian Medical College Foundation|
Dr. Ida Scudder's concept of Roadside clinics, a sort of Community and primary health care for interior rural areas was a famous one and her innovative approach in those colonial days had been recently commended by the WHO - the World Heath organization. This unique program involved a team of staff set out in a bullock-cart with adequate medical supplies. Their destination was near-by rural communities to provide health care. Even now the College of Nursing Community health along with other sister units have been participating in Primary health Care and Community reach.
The medical College moved into a new location in 1928 and the campus came up on 200 acres (0.8 km²) at Bagayam and in the same year Mahatma Gandhiji visited the campus and praised the services of medical missionaries under Dr. Scudder. As for the founder, she did not sit idle, she toured the US often on fund-raising missions and brought in $ millions of dollars to develop the college. In 1945, the college was opened for both men and women.
The Vellore Christian Medical Center in 2003 was the largest Christian hospital in the world, with 2000 beds, and its medical school is now one of the best medical colleges in India. Dr. Ida in 1952 won the Elizabeth Blackwell Citation from the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, as one of 1952's five outstanding women doctors, an honor she well deserved.
She died, at the ripe age of 89, at her Hilltop bungalow having led a satisfied life, dedicating herself to the cause of Women's medical education and addressing women's medical problems.
01. This famous medical institution was first to carry out Leprosy Reconstructive Surgery in the world in 1948.
02. First open heart surgery in India in 1961.
03. In 1966 first bone-morrow transplant in India.
04. A stamp issued on August 12, 2000, as part of centenary celebrations of Christian Medical College, depicts the college chapel, the motivating monument of the medical college and hospital, symbolizing the ethos of the institution. The First-day cover portrays Dr Ida Scudder, who founded the institute in 1900, working for the medical requirements of pregnant women.
05. The famous visitors to this institution includes: Sir Alexander Fleming, Dr Jonas Salk, the American Evangelist Billy Graham, Mahatma Gandhi, Indian Presidents Radhakrishna, Rajendra Prasad, Abdul Kalam. Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, and the Countess Edwina Ashley Mountbatten of Burma.
06. The college now offers over 175 different post graduate courses in the medical, nursing and allied health disciplines, including PhD courses. Yearly enrollment: Over 2,600 students
07. The Hospital has eleven sites and serves over 2000 inpatients and 8,000 outpatients daily, with 67 wards, 92 clinics each day and over 150 departments /units.
08 MBBS enrollment : 100 students yearly.