|Kalimpong. The Katherine Graham Memorial ChapelTripAdvisor|
Kalimpong town that can be accessed from Darjeeling by road was a famous hill station for the British during the colonial days. Besides, they also owned many tea estates in the near-by areas. Katherine Graham Memorial Chapel is an old structure built in European style.
|Kalimpong.The Katherine Graham Memorial ChapeDarjeeling Tourism|
The Chapel was inaugurated on the 24th of September 1925 and dedicated to the memory of Dr. Graham’s wife Katherine Graham. When the Chapel is restored back to old charm and grandeur, it will give a fillip to tourism and lots of people will come here.
The architecture of this chapel in Scottish style with hills and trees around it gives the appearance of a Scottish village far removed from the town. It' s distinctly Scottish and all the School Houses built by Dr. Graham and others are named after different dignitaries.
Kalimpong has many attractions for the tourists. A trip to the Graham’s Homes will not only help you relax but also give you a chance to appreciate the social work done by Dr. Graham and his co-workers in the colonial past. Dr. John Anderson Graham, Missionary of the Church of Scotland who came to India in 1887 as part of Darjeeling Mission realized the necessity to open a Home for the orphaned, uncared- for children born to the British and the local people. He and his wife were instrumental in making them see the bright future in the midst of pangs of pain and dejection suffered by them in a conservative society. Dr. Graham's Homes provided them an opportunity to look up for bright future, despite odds. In 1947 his schools, hostels, institutes,etc were collectively called Dr. Graham's Homes. Dr. Graham was ably assisted by a young Scottish Missionary Aeneas Francon aged 24 (arrived in Kalimpong in 1910) and became the Assistant Schoolmaster of Dr. Grahams' School. Later he took up the post of Bursar and remained in this post for 14 long years.
Katherine Graham died in 1919 and Dr. Graham in 1942. Both are buried in the same Chapel Cemetery. Incidentally, Dr. Graham built the Chapel in memory of his beloved wife who never failed to lend her hands in his relentless social activities for the cause of abandoned children.