At a time when the incidence of Malaria, Plague, Typhoid, etc is on the increase coupled with maternal high mortality rate and stomach ailments, decision was made by the medical Board to upgrade the standard of teaching at Temple School of Medicine. Over a period of time, the Medical College got a name and on 25 July 1925 the medical College with advanced facilities was opened by Gov. of Bihar Sir Henry Wheeler with just 30 students and H.R. Dutton IMS became the first Principal.
It is one of the very few medical colleges in India where the Radio Therapy unit was established way back in the past. Departments like plastic surgery, pediatrics, gen surgery, etc., got a good name in our country. Now it has 500 undergraduate students and the same number of PG students and a staff of 200 well-trained teachers.
It is one of the busiest hospitals in the country with 1700 beds, serving the poor and indigent population. A postal commemorative stamp was issued in February, 2000 (75th anniversary) in recognition of its excellent service toward the cause of medical services and general health.