|Holy Cross Church, Kurlaindianexpress.com|
|Holy Cross church, Kurla en.wikipedia|
The earlier name of the church was “Iglesia de San Salvador” (Church of Our Holy Saviour), later changed to 'Invencao de Santa Cruz', Church of the finding of the Holy Cross. Perhaps, this was soon shortened to “Church of the Holy Cross”, as due importance is given to the devotions to the Cross of Christ as noted in the Annual Letters to Rome of Jesuits of India, found in the Monumenta Historica Societatis lesu and the Documenta Indica.
Since the matrimonial alliance between English and Portugal Royal families, during 1669 to 1739, the British had ruled the Seven Islands of Bombay, whereas Salsette Island was still in Portuguese hands. Despite the alliance between two countries, the political relationship between them was not that good. Whenever the British had misgiving against the Portuguese, they used the Jesuits and their church and houses in Kurla as a sandbag to punch and to let out their frustrations. The threats of bombardment from the Sion Hillock Fort, situated on the northern end of Bombay (which lay immediately across the Mahim creek) made the Jesuits and the Portuguese unhappy. After the fall of the Church in 1739 into the hands of the Marathas, Jesuits' activities declined. Later, the administration of the parish came under the control of Diocesan clergy.
The 20th century saw a large influx of Catholics in Bombay and this necessitated the building of more parishes to serve the Christians and to fulfill their religious obligations. From the original parish of Kurla, six parishes came up in Bombay from the original parish of Kurla such as Our Lady of Fatima Church, kirol in 1953, St. Joseph, near Kurla Railway Station in 1968,, etc. Extension and renovation of the Church structure was undertaken. in order to accommodate increasing Catholic patrons. The church belongs to the Archdiocese of Bombay.