|Elphinstone Circle,Bombay,Hindustan Times|
Above image: Photograph of Elphinstone Circle in Bombay from the 'Lee-Warner Collection: 'Bombay Presidency. William Lee Warner C.S.' taken by an unknown photographer in the 1870s. Elphinstone Circle was laid out in 1869 and buildings have uniform design through out with a covered arcade at ground level. After Independence, the Circle was renamed Horniman Circle. This name refers to Benjamin Horniman, an English journalist............................
Elphinstone Circle, Fort was built in 1869 when the city of Bombay was booming under the direct administration of the British crown. A good example of fine colonial urban planning, it was designed by
James Scott, Chief Engineer of the Elphinstone Land Co. It is quite similar to Bath's Royal Crescent. The construction of this building was part of the redevelopment of Bombay which began under the Governorship of Sir Bartle Frere in the 1860s. It was set on the site of old Bombay Green in the fort area. The uniform crescent shaped arcaded commercial buildings with impressive shopping premises along the wide streets and central garden that once contained statues of Cornwallis and Wellesley augment the beauty of this urban land space and its old glory is not yet lost, despite vagaries of time. It is reminiscent an English street in a big town. In the early 1870s, it was occupied by the Chartered Mercantile Bank.