|Lansdowne Hall (south view)Coochbihar gov.in|
Lansdowne Hall, on the Sagardighi West in the center of the town of Cooch Behar is an important landmark that houses
BMO and others. Erected in 1894 in commemoration of the visit of Lord Lansdowne, Viceroy and Governor General of India to Cooch Behar, Lansdowne hall played a crucial role in the local society for a pretty long time; it was a venue of countless important public meetings, while it was also used as a reading room for literate people of this area.
|Lansdown Hall,Cooch Bihargov.in|
Designed in Italian type of architecture, the dimension of the building is length north and south 109’4’’ and breadth 85’3’’. The width of the main building is 59’6’’. In front there is a carriage porch with three storied structure along with a clock tower atop. The striking features are the tall tower whose height from the ground is79 ft and the attractive main doors, which are 12X6 fore fold and have sashes ( a sort of gridles?) embossed "to Lansdowne’s and His Highness" crest. The center Hall is a big one 92’6’’ X25’ with fairly broad side aisles - 12 feet wide. The clock tower took a severe beating during the massive earthquake of 1897.