|Lady Hardinge and her family. Bombay Photo Images[ Mumbai - blogger|
|lady Hardige, wife of Charles Hardinge viceroy of india. Pinterest|
|Medical college logo. /en.wikipedia.org|
Lady Hardinge upon her stay in Calcutta and and her trips to many many places, saw herself lack of education among Indian women, particularly, there was no institution in the north to train them in the area of maternity care and medicine. No sooner had Lady Hardinge moved over to Delhi along with her husband, who was now the Viceroy of India than the honorable couple decided to start a medical college for women to help the Indian women get training in medical education, essential for the welfare of the society. She herself laid the foundation stone on 17 March 1914 and the college was to be named Queen Mary College & Hospital to commemorate the visit by Queen Mary in 1911-12. Being socially active, as she was , she did not lose her time and had begun to collect funds for a good cause. Lady Hardinge was busy collecting funds for the proposed Medical college from several princely states and the public until her unexpected death on 11 July 1914.
As scheduled, the college was inaugurated on 7 February 1916 by Baron Hardinge in the Imperial Delhi Enclave area and the college and the hospital was named after Lady Hardinge in memory of her as wished by the Queen herself. The college had a humble beginning with 16 students and the first principal was Dr. Kate Platt. One Dr. Ruth Young CBE (Ruth Wilson) was the first Professor of Surgery at the College and served as Principal from 1936 until 1940. Then the college was affiliated to University of the Punjab hence the students had to appear for their final examinations at King Edward Medical College in Lahore. The college became part of the University of Delhi in 1950 and post-graduate courses were introduced in 1954. Subsequently, a children's hospital came up in 1956 as part of the Lady Hardinge hospital.
The Central Government appointed Board of Administration took over the administration of the institution in 1953 and in February 1978 the institution came directly under the Central government administration - under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, as per an Act of Parliament. Prior to 1953, it was an autonomous institution managed by a Governing Body.
The famous college is located in Connaught Place, New Delhi and the motto of the college is : "Per Ardua Ad Astra"(in Latin) -
"Through Adversity to Stars"
Lady Hardinge Medical College & Associated Hospitals, considered the oldest hospital for women and children in Northern India is a living and functional hospital in the heart of the capital catering to the people from all walks of life. The Lady Hardinge Medical College & Associated Hospitals are under pressure to handle too many patients. Because of space crunch, certain medical services are not available and the Central government is working hard to improve the facilities in tune with the increasing arrival of patients here. A comprehensive urban design master plan was underway to improve the medical facilities, etc.