|Front part, GPO, Lucknow city. www.panoramio.com|
Lucknow, the largest and capital city of the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, was once the seat of power of Nawabs in the 18th and 19th centuries. Historically, it was the capital of Awadh was under the control of the Delhi Sultanate and later under the Mughal rule. Subsequently the Nawabs of Awadh ruled this region for sometime. The East India company seized Awadh from the nawabs and in 1857, soon after the rebellion, the British Raj took complete control over Lucknow and the surrounding regions.
The GPO came into being in the place of an entertainment Theater between 1929 and 1932 and the beautiful structure built in Gothic style has a big hall and a clock tower in the middle. Standing opposite to Christ Church on the Hazratganj Crossing on the Vidhan Sabah Road, the building and the triangular shaped garden with blossoming flowers in the front attract the attention of the passers-by.
|Clock Tower, GPO, Lucknow, UP.fiftyplustravels.com|
|GPO, Lucknow city. /www.oneindia.com|
|GPO Lucknow city. www.lucknowonline.in|
Ref: various sources