|Lighthouse at Nagapatnam, Tamil Nadu. nagapattinam.nic.in|
Earlier Nagapattnam was under the control of the Portuguese and the Dutch . In November 1781, the town was conquered by the British East India Company and while under the British company,
|Dutch engraving showing Nagapatnam c. 1680. en.wikipedia.org|
|Tamil Nadu state map. Maps-india.com|
A major renovation work was done in 1923 with the installation of a new PV equipment. This system had a 85 mm burner and first order optic assembly in two panels, revolving on mercury float. It was made by by M/s. Chance Bros., Birmingham, England. After 1985, a better equipment was in place. The PRB-21 equipment with sealed beam lamps supplied by M/s. ANA, New Delhi. It was installed on 20th March 1985.
Since the port became a major fishing harbor in the past, a better light source equipment for the light house became a necessity. The Radio beacon equipment (400 W) supplied by MACE, Visakhapatnam, transmitting on 295 kHz (installed in 1992) and the ‘Tide land’ ‘Racon’( installed on 3rd September 1996) were the additions made in the 1990s. The DGPS equipment made by M/s Leica Geo Systems, U.S.A was integrated on 30th April 2003, converting Radio Beacon to DGPS station. Halogen lamps provide the light source. This equipment replaced the old auto head lamps.
After the tragic 26 December 2004 devastating Tsunami triggered by the movement of Tectonic plates, causing severe submarine earthquake off the Indonesian Islands that had left a trail of destruction and death along the coastal area, a Tsunami warning system has been in use since then.