to be patron Yoga god. For reasons that are beyond our comprehension, Shiva, who is omniscient, has a close affinity for
01. Lord Shiva has Pancha mukam - five faces hence he is called Iymuka Shiva (Shiva with five faces) in Tamil. They are Esaanam. Thath purusham, Agoram, vaamadevam and Sathyojatham. Each of his face has a different color, depending on the direction in which it is facing. The face in the center Isaanam (grace) is shinning in color - sort of glassy in nature; east facing Thath Purusham (supreme Spirit) is golden color; south facing Agoram (destruction and regeneration) is dark in color; north facing Vaama Devam (healing and sustenance) is red in color; west facing Sathyojatham (creation) is white in color.
|Five ttavas according to face. Bhagavadgitausa|
Siva has yet another face; it is a hidden sixth face (Tamasa face) which has the color of Nilakanta (blue throat) caused by poison Kalakuta from the Ocean of Milk held in his throat. Kaalakuuta / kalakuta = Ambassador or emissary of Death. He is also known as Shitikantha (peacock-throated).
02. Among the many Shiva temples, five temples - Chidambaram, Madurai, Thiruvilankadu, Tirunelveli and Kutralam, are very revered and are referred to as the five sabhas, where, it is said, Lord Shiva danced to please his devotees. Among his several mystifying dances, five of them draw our attention. The Sabhas (halls) and the dances are as follows:
Rathina Sabha (hall of rubies; rathnachabai) :Kali Thandavam, Vada Aaranyeswarar Temple at Thiruvalangadu, near Chennai.
|Kanaka Sabha Golden roof, Chidambaram. .bhagavadgitausa.com/|
Kanaka Sabha (golden hall;porchabai) Ananda Thandavam, Natarajar Temple at Chidambaram, Cuddalore District.
|Wonderful Indian Architecture|
Thamira Sabha (copper hall; Thamirachabai), Muni Thandavam, Nellaiappar Temple at Tirunelveli, Tirunelveli District.
Chithira Sabha (hall of pictures; chitasabai),Tirupura Thandavam, Kutralanathar Temple at Courtallam, Thiruvarur District.
|Five functions of nataraja's dance.www.bhagavadgitausa.com|
Among his important duties, Shiva establishes a perfect balance by systematically carrying out the duties of creation and destruction. For example new land forms are created on one side and some existing land forms are destroyed and pushed into the earth, Volcanic activities, earth quakes, earth's plate movements (Plate Tectonics) are worthy of mention.
04. Pancha Puranas are written in praise of Lord Shiva. They are five in number in Tamil: Thevaram, Thruvachakam, Thiruvisaipa, Thirupallandu and Periya Puranam. In many temples of Shiva, hymns from Thevaram and Thiruvachagams are sung during puja hours by Oothuvaars ( Shiva devotees specialized in the singing of Tamil hymns).
05. In the case of worship of Shiva, pancha vilvam (bilva leaves
), Noochi, Vila, Maavilankai, Kiluvai leaves are used.
06. Yet another fact is the chanting of Nama Shivaya mantra. It has five letters in Tamil. When you enter the Shiva temple, it is good, if you chant Namachivaya mantra when you go round the Prakara (corridor). The above mantra can be written in Tamil in five different ways using the same five letters. Sivaya Nama, Masivaya Na, Nama Sivaya, Yanama Siva, Vaya Namasi. Here, Entity = the soul’s journey to Grace
Na = Veiling or Tirodhana. Ma = Mala or impurity, Si = Lord Siva, Va = Arul or Grace, Ya =The Jiva or individual soul,
07. During the Shivaratri, a Shiva devotee ought to do five duties. They are: Smearing Veepoothi on the forehead, wearing Rudratsha mala, Chanting of Namashivaya (having Pancha atcharam), Bilva archana and singing of devotional hymns.
08. Lord Shiva is an embodiment of Pancha Bootham - five essential elements for our survival on this earth. They are water (Jalam), fire (agni), Akash (Sky), air (Vaayu) and earth (bhoomi).
09. Muladhara triangle-Kundalini : There are five combinations and they are Earth and Brahma, Water and Vishnu, Fire and Rudra, Vayu and Rudra, Akasa and Sadasiva.
10. The Panchaakshara of Nataraja are, as one can see in his cosmic dance posture: Fire in the hand, Right foot on demon Muyalakan, drum, out-stretched hand, left anterior hand,dispelling fear.
11. Siva's five dances Arpuda, Ananada, Anavarta, Pralaya and Samhara are enshrined in the Golden Hall Kanaga Sabha) of Chidambaram. Chidambaram = Cit + Ambaram = Consciousness + Ether, sky, or atmosphere = Ether Consciousness: this is the Sanskrit version. Tamil version is: Chidambaram = Cit + Ambalam = Consciousness + Hall = Hall of Consciousness.
12. Sudha Tattvas are 1. Siva Tattva, 2. Sakti Tattva, 3. Sadasiva Tattva, 4. Isvara or IsaTattva, 5. Suddha Vidya Tattva(m).
"Siva is the Primordial Being, the middle and the incomprehensible limitless Principle beyond the beyond. He is Effulgence and Supreme knowledge. He is the Origin of all. He is the One pervading all. He is the male and the female. He abides and dances in Thillai (Chidambaram). Praise to His sacred Feet". --
.......... Appar, Sekkizar Verses Verse 350. Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva