|Patna High_Court, Patna. PatnaDaily|
|Viceroy Hardinge and Patna High Court bldg. archive.news18.com|
When Charles Baron Hardinge laid the foundation of the Patna High Court building roughly 103 years ago, he had predicted that “this court will make history in the days to come.” It was in 1948 Patna High Court had jurisdiction over the territories of the Province of Bihar & Orissa until 26 July 1948. In November 2000, a separate High Court was formed for the new state Jharkhand. A new record was created here for the first and last time in the history of Independent India that an Advocate General (AG) was appointed directly as the chief justice of any high court. Senior lawyer
|First justice after 1947. l.K.Jha Patna High Court TopYaps|
After India's independence (August 1947), Hon. Pandit Lakhami Kant Jha was the first Indian Chief Justice of Patna High Court. As for woman justice, credit goes to Hon. Mrs. Justice Indu Prabha Singh, the first woman judge of Patna High Court. She also had the honor of being the first woman to hold justice post at Patna High Court and its Ranchi Bench. Yet another honor for this court is the justice position held by Hon.
|Patna HC and Supreme HC. Mrs. Justice Gyan Sudha Misra. YouTube|
Some important facts of Patna High Court:
01. Patna High Court was founded after the division of Bihar and Odisha (then Orissa) from Bengal in 1912.
02. Renowned Architect Munnings, assisted by AM Millwood, designed this beautiful building. The unique feature is its look of a country club of palladium type following a neo-classical style with fine details.
|Patna High court, Patna. StampGallery.Com|
04. Not withstanding its size, “Patna High Court building", to some extent, follows the model of the Allahabad High court building and the building contractor was “Martin Burn of Kolkata (then Calcutta).
05. Its first judge Chamier was a strong believer of "Judiciary Autonomy", and never allowed more than six officiating justices
(vide SK Katriar, author of the book “Patna High Court – A centenary of glory”). Hence, the chief justice Sir Edward Chamier in March 1916 refused to invite the then Bihar Lieutenant Governor Sir Edward Gait.
|Patna High_Court, Patnawww.deccanherald.co|
07. Sir Fazi Ali who was the first Indian to be sworn in as the CJ. Justice Ali served as the chief justice from 1943 to 1946 toward the end of the colonial era. Later he held the justice post in the supreme court and the post of Governor of Orissa.
08. Hon. Pandit Lakshmi Kant Jha was the first Indian justice after India's independence.
\09. The first constitutional amendment was made on June 18, 1951 after the Patna High Court declared the Land Reforms Act 1950 as unconstitutional.
10. In 1972 - Patna High Court opened a Circuit Bench at Ranchi and ultimately it became Jharkhand High Court in November 2000.