The Indian converts, in particular, Indo-Britons (often referred to as East Indians, later as Angelo Indians), who were from the neighboring areas of Narasingapuram, Chintadripet, Pudupet and Royapettah wanted a church and school built close to them for their spiritual needs, etc. Christ Church, Madras came into being in 1842 with the first congregation of the church and the school outside the Ft. St. George. The place of worship mainly catered to the Anglo Indian community in which the male European lineage determined the Anglo-Indian.
The first congregation took place on Mount road in a building provided by an Englishman Thomas Parker Waller. The adjacent grounds had stables, etc. When a school came up in another building in the same place, the young students had to share their space amidst harsh loud cry of horses, coaches. farriers, etc. Waller, after a few years, made up his mind to donate the land for building the church and a school adjacent to it and he thought, his stable, etc won't be a nuisance to them. The then cost of the building was Rs. 12,000.00. One John Law designed the church and the parishioners began the construction in 1850.
The Anglican Church with tall-steeple, compound wall, wooden furniture, etc., built at the cost of Rs. 37,000.00 was consecrated in 1852. Later a building came up to run the school. Since then with the growth of school and students' strength, additional buildings had been added.
Adjacent to this place was a social club called SVS - Suguna Vilas Sabha formed on July 5, 1891. It owed a lot to a great theater personality and "The Founding Father of Tamil Theatre', Pammal Sambanda Mudaliar who, with Sankaradas Swamigal, had 'brought