|St. Mark's Cathedral(founded1808), Bangalore. www.google.co.in|
St. Mark's Cathedral, Bangalore named after Saint Mark, was built in 1812, drawing inspiration from the 17th century St Paul's Cathedral, London. It is one of the earliest churches in colonial India. Located in a serene environment on Mahatma Gandhi Road, MacIver Town, the foundation stone was laid in 1808, but consecration was done only in 1816 by the Bishop of Calcutta. In the early stages in 1808, it was just a garrison Anglican Church and it saw much of the expansion in 1901 and reconstruction in 1927. The extension in 1901 was done, using government funds of British India. The renovated church was dedicated on 26 August 1902 by Bishop Whitehead of Madras.
|St. Mark's Cathedral ,Bangalore. Team-BHP|
In 1808, the church was mainly used by the Madras army men of the East India company and its capacity was just 400 and to accommodate the growing members in 1902, the church was expanded in 1906 and unfortunately in February in 1923, the church was damaged by a fire accident purported to be caused by a short circuit and in the same year it resulted in reconstruction. Again, as ill luck would have it, part of the building caved in while the work was on in 1924. So, the church construction work was completed only in 1927. During the major construction work and organization, church services were held at St. Andrew's Church, Cubbon Road.
|The Colours of the 77th Moplah Riflesen.wikipedia.org|
St. Marks Cathedral is steeped in historical events related to EIC. The uniqueness about this church is there is a memorial for those who gave their lives in the Moplah revolt of Kerala. It was a violent armed uprising in 1921 against British authority and Hindu landlords and Brahmins in the Malabar region of Southern India by Mappila Muslims who were descendants of the Arabs.There are innumerable plagues of those British who died in Bangalore cantonment. Yet another historical event is the disbanding of 77th Moplah Rifles Infantry Regiment and the burial of military colors on the west wall of this famous church. It was the only church under the control of the government - East India company, Madras Presidency.
|St. Mark's Cathedral, Bangalore.1900. en.wikipedia.org|
|Interior. St. Mark's Cathedral, Bangalore. Journeys across Karnataka|
There is a Brass lectern (eagle with spread wings on the globe) in this church and it was gifted by some planters of Mysore in 1903, in memory of Harry Alexander Campbell and Montague Beaden Follett of Lumsden's Horse Regiment who died in the Boer Conflicts of South Africa. The bible on the lectern was presented by one Mrs. Laura Amelia Amaller.
01. The church has a memorial plaque for Lt.-Col Sir Walter Scott, the nephew of Scottish writer Sir Walter Scott and 2nd Baronet, who died at sea in 1847.
02. After Indian independence in 1947, it became part of the Church of South India and later the Cathedral of the Karnataka Central Diocese in 1961.
03. Saint Mark, after whom this church is named, is believed to be the first gospel writer.
04. The St Mark's Ecumenical Center for church Music founded in 1990 is functioning here. It trains people interested in Church music regardless of religion and denominations and also helps train people in violin, piano, music theory and singing for the Trinity College of Music and Royal School of Music examinations.
05. The cathedral celebrated its 200 years bicentenary in 2007-2008. It is one among a few earliest colonial churches in this region fully funded by the colonial government.
06. On 1 July 1928, Bishop Tubbs of Palayamkottai , now in Tamil Nadu, was the first to preach on the marble pulpit, delivering the sermon 'The reunion of Christendom'.
|pipe organ (19290 , St.Marks church , Bangalore. www.saclifestyles.in|