There are several historical colonial churches in India that remind us of the Scottish legacy. During the EIC rule, numerous Scottish people worked for the company and its military operations and churches were built out of necessity in places like Kolkata, Madras, Bangalore, etc to cater to the religious needs of Scots and their families. These places accounted for a large European community.
St. Andrew’s Church, named after the patron saint of Scotland, St. Andrew is on the Cubbon road, Bangalore. This historical Presbyterian church built in orthodox Presbyterian Scottish architecture, with a tall belfry and chiming clock at the apex of its tower is yet another landmark in this area of this big city and it was open to the public on 18 November 1866. The Rev. Stewart Wright, one of the chaplains of the Church of Scotland in the Madras Presidency, and pastor in charge of the newly formed congregation preached the dedication sermon. Two years earlier on 22 November 1866 the foundation stone for this impressive structure was laid by none other than Lady Grant, wife of Lieutenant-General, Sir Hope Grant, the then Quartermaster-General of Her Majesty’s Forces. It is recorded that total cost of this place of worship was Rs. 45,000/- inclusive of plot. The net the cost of interior decorations etc., was partly borne by the public subscription and by the government. When St. Mark church was damaged in a fire accident in on 17 February 1923, its patrons were accommodated in this church till it was rebuilt in 1927.
|Andrews Kirk, Bangalore (around 1895. en.wikipedia.org|
|Clock Tower, St. Andrew's (2004). en.wikipedia.org|
|St. Andrews church. .Bangalore, Alamy|
|restored pipe organ istalled in 1881. en.wikipedia.org|
|Stained color glass panel St. Andrews church. . bangalore.citizenmatters.in|
01. The church was consecrated in memory of Mary Elizabeth McGoun (died 1867), wife of Col. Thomas McGoun of the 6th Madras Native Infantry (died 19 April 1868 at Marseilles on the way back to Scotland. There is a memorial stone at the St. Andrew's Kirk, Madras. The monument to the memory of Mary Elizabeth is located at the end of the church altar.
02. Native Indians were allowed to sit in the back pews. The Church mainly catered to the Scottish military personal of the local area of Madras Presidency and Scottish civilians. They formed the main congregation then.