|Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple, Mangalagiri . image c: Ramakrishna Anand|
|Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple & Mangalagiri town, . Andhra state. credit: Ramakrishna Anand.|
The presiding deity in the temple here at the foot hill is called Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy and is believed to have been installed by Yudhishtira, the eldest of the Pandavas. Raja Vasireddy Venkatadri Naidu who ruled from Amaravati as his capital 200 years ago (in 1807-1809) built the temple at Mangalagiri. The temple has a tall gopuram (tower) on the eastern side -153ft. tall and 49 feet wide with 11 stories. Thoorpu Gali Gopuram, main tower is replete with beautiful big images of various gods and goddesses from the Hindu Pantheon. These images bear testimony to the workmanship and amazing skills of the craftsmen and artisans of by-gone era. The water tank opposite the tower was built by the ruler to offset the slowly leaning tower as suggested by one Kancheepuram Archi. After digging the tank, it is said, the tower became straight. The first three tiers were built by the Vijayanagara rulers and the rest - 8 tiers were built by Raja Vasireddy Venkatadri Naidu. Utthara Gali Gopuram (Tower on North Side) built by Rangapuram Jamindar Madapati Venkateswararao in 1911 is thrown open on the Vaikunta Ekadasi (Mukkoti) day. The Padamati Gali Gopuram (Tower on West Side) is incomplete. Dhakshina Gali Gopuram (Tower on South Side) was renovated in 1992.
From the the various stone inscriptions of the kings of Vijayanagara found in this temple, we come to know about the conquest of Rayalu over Kondapalli etc, grants of lands to the temple by Siddhiraju Thimmarajayya Devara and Chinna Thirumalayya (son of Annamacharya) to Ramanujakudam in 1561
In the Kritayuga, when the ocean Ksheeraodadhi was being churned by the Mandara hill Devas (Celestial), it created a pushkarni - water tank that contained holy waters of many rivers and Goddess Lakshmi bathed in it and later offered herself to the lord. Because pushkarani (temple tank) is believed to exist here at Mangalagiri for a long time, hence, it is called Lakshmi pushkarani. Further, Lord Rama once visited this holy place to get liberation - Mukthi and that is why this hill is also called the "Totadri".