|Panhala fort,near Kolhapur, Maharastra. en.wikipedia.org|
|Panhala fort,near Kolhapur, Maharastra.filmapia.com|
Built between 1178 and 1209 AD one among 15 forts by the Shilahara ruler Bhoja II who held the court 1191–1192 CE, as confirmed by the inscriptions on the copper plate found in Satara town, the fort came under the control of the most powerful of the Devgiri Yadavas - Singhana (1209–1247) who defeated Bhoja Raja. After Shilahara dynasty and Yadava dynasty, Bahamani kingdoms, Shivaji, Devagiri Yadavas, Adil Shahi dynasty of Bijapur, Mughal Aurangzeb (1700) became the masters of the fort from time to time. It became Maratha state capital under Tarabai upto 1782, and then British conquered it in 1827. It was here - Sajja Kothi Shivaji imprisoned his own son Sambaji for not obeying him and later Shivaji died before his son could make a reconciliation bid with him. After a sea-saw battle between Mogul forces and Marathas, finally Aurangzeb took control (April 1692). It was here he had negotiations with the British officer William Norris. Later Marathas took possession of the fort.
In 1782, the capital of the Kolhapur government was moved from Panhala to Kolhapur for some political reason. It was in the year 1827, under Shahoji I (1821–1837), Panhala and its neighboring fort Pavangad were transferred to the British East India company in 1844, during the minority of Shivaji IV (1837–1860).
The well known Maratha ruler and warrior, Chhatrapati Shivaji took control of the fort in 1660. Later Adil Shah II (1656–1672) of Bijapur after a long siege lasting several month took over the fort and Shivaji and his loyal followers escaped in the dead of night (July 1660). It was only after that Shivaji Maharaj could reoccupy the fort.
|Panhala fort,near Kolhapur, Maharastra.harimohanparuvu.blogspot.com|
The astonishing feature about this fort is it covers vast area and its boundary walls run over 7 km in length and a steep slope beneath the fort hinders easy accessibility. The entrance to the fort is well strengthened by three double-walled gates. Almost self contained, the fort has huge granary - amberkhani which has the storage capacity of 25,000 khandis of grains.