|Fort St. George - Bombay, extension to the fortified wall. in.search.yahoo.com|
The fort once covered a large area of about 1.6 kilometers in length and 500 meters in breadth. The British mainly used the fort to store arms and ammunition for military and civil purposes. The end of Sepoy mutiny (1857 to 1859) saw the end of East India company and direct establishment of the British Crown. Three years later the fort was pulled down (1862-65) by the British Raj under Sir Barter Fier (1862-65) for the simple reason that the British had no longer needed the fort for defense. St. George Hospital was built at the fort site between 1889 and 1892 and its remains can be seen today. Among the many British monuments in Mumbai , this old monument reminds us of how successfully the English established their hegemony in the early part of their stay in India through careful planning and military power long before their complete take over of the Indian subcontinent.