|the church of St. Agustine, Goa. www.augnet.org|
|Tower of the church of St. Agustine, Goa|
Goa has numerous, impressive churches of beauty and grandeur built during the colonial periods. Many of them have survived to day, but some have crumpled due to ravages of time, negligence and poor maintenance.
On the Holy Hill (Monte Santo), Goa stands a beautiful church building in ruins, that, perhaps, might have witnessed Goa's past glory and colonial rulers' heyday, but now it a sad and silent reminder of a fallen colonial era. The forty six meter high colossal four storied arched belfry tower made of laterite, not only formed part of the facade of the church of St. Augustine facing east, but also dominated the sky line once upon a time. The church and the tower were built in 1602 by the St. Augustinian Friars. Unfortunately all that is left today of this once famous church is the 46m-high tower, which served as a belfry. One can see the damaged parts of eight chapels, four altars and extensive convent with many cells.
The Friars of Augustinian Order settled in Goa in 1572 and they had built on the holy hill a large convent - a three-story building with large stairways to reach the upper levels. The huge building included corridors, two cloisters, pillars, galleries and halls with many rooms, besides infirmary and guest house. Dormitories were also part of the building complex. It was well planned and executed building. That nothing is permanent in this world is quite true in the case of this church. All the above mentioned parts of the buildings are in ruins and restoration to its original form is very tough task.
|St. Agustine, Goa.www.exoticgoa.co.in|
|ruins of st augustine back to top church of ste|