|Ripon Building, Chennai,TN. India. em.wikipedia.org |
|Ribon Bulding, Chennai.Clock in front of the building.archive.outlooktraveller.com|
|Ripon Building, Chennai,TN,www.thehindu.com|
The Ripon Building, a three- story in all-white structure is located near the Chennai Central railway station, Chennai, capital of Tamil Nadu. Built in an Indo-Saracenic style, it is the seat of Chennai corporation. Earl of Minto, the then Viceroy and Governor General of India laid the foundation on 12 December 1909 and it was Commissioned in 1913, Ripon Building, designed by G.S.T. Harris, was named after Lord
|Lord Ripon by George Frederic Watts,en.wikipedia.org|
This beautiful building , rectangular in shape is 85 meters (279 ft) long and 32 meters (105 ft) wide with a 43 meters (141 ft) central tower containing a clock 2.5 m (8.2 ft) in diameter. The building has a Westminster Quarter chiming mechanical key-wound clock. This was installed by Oakes and Co. in 1913. Initially the flooring was done in Cuddappah slate, later replaced by marble. Since many parts of the buildings had fallen into disrepair massive renovation and restoration was initiated in 2012 to preserve this historical building's grandeur and beauty. A special kind of old-style plastering, as done first in the building was to be carried out. This kind of plastering requires one to one and half months to set.
Lime and sand are to be mixed in a 1:1.125 ratio, with gal-nut (kadukkai) water and jaggery, for plastering. This method was comm0nly used in the by-gone days.
The corporation was inaugurated on September 29, 1688, when the Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses took their solemn oaths and it was attended by 3000 people - mostly city's elite. Duration of the Mayor was one year. and he had to be elected by the Aldermen, who were nominated for life Burgesses, whose number were never to exceed 120, were to elect one of their number to fill any vacancy that might arise among the Aldermen. Subsequently in 1919 designations in the Mayoral office changed. The Aldermen who had, in course of time, become Commissioners were re-designated as Councillors, term Mayor was changed to head of the corporation and to President. Since 1933 the term Mayor has been in use. Kumararajah M.A. Muthiah Chettiar (Iater Pro Chancellor of Annamalai University, Chidambaram,T.N became the first Mayor in the new set-up. First woman Mayor was Mrs.Tara Cherian.
An annex building with a built-up area of 150,000 sq. ft., parking space, etc was built in August 2014 to take care of the needs of various departments
The Fist Corporation - The Hindu, Apr 02, 2003