|Milagres Church, Kallianpur, Karnataka, S.India. milagrescathedralkallianpur.comen.wikipedia.org|
|Milagres Cathedral interior.en.wikipedia.org|
|Our Lady of miracles Kallianpur./en.wikipedia.org|
|Milagres Church, Kallianpur, Karnataka, S.India. milagrescathedralkallianpur.com|
It was for this community that the Portuguese built the Church in 1678 in Kallianpur under the title of Nossa Senhora de Milagres, Kallianpur. Our Lady of Miracles is the Woman of the the revelations of St. John, “And a great portent appeared in heaven, a Women clothed with the sun and the moon under Her feet and on her head a crown of twelve stars”. Christian community prospered well, enjoying security and respect in that region for a century in Kallianpur as in the rest of Canara. There was a Chapel in Barkur served from Kallianpur until it was constituted into a Parish in 1863.
The political scenario had changed soon after the arrival of the British company in S. India. The ruler Tipu was always at loggerheads with unreliable and untrustworthy English. Further, he was under the wrong impression that the Christians living there were helping the British Christians. when the English lost war on January 30, 1784, the Tipu Sultan's army took control over that region. On the night of Ash Wednesday - 24th February, 1784, Tipu's army brutally hounded, herded and marched the Christians captive to Srirangapatana where a large number of them were converted to Islam right under sword. Only a few people managed to escape by hiding. Many churches in Canara (Karnataka) were pulled down and the priests were sent back to Goa. The soldiers entered the Church of Our Lady of Miracles and tried to move the Statue of our Lady on the High Alter for desecration. As the statue was well installed, Tipu's army tried very hard to dislodge it. While they were in the midst of this sacrilege act on the holy premises, all of a sudden from no where, the soldiers were attracted by a big swarm of bees.
The Church in Kallianpur was rebuilt in 1806 by the contributions of the people, by Fr. Joachim Jose Britto of Cortalim, Goa. For unknown reasons the Miraculous Statue of our Lady was shifted to some places nearby and at last brought back to this place. A yearly boat procession of our Lady on an artistically decorated throne ( Cherell) with much solemnity, grandeur and pomp was celebrated and the tradition continues even today. The statue used for those processions is the one now used for Cherell in the church for processions on the feast days. The statue was donated by the local Fishermen who found it on the Maple beach. It is strongly believed to be the statue placed by Vasco da Gama on the Thonse Par Islands when he landed there and which were named by him as St. Mary’s Island.