|Ala-ud-din Khilji.1290 -1320 CE www.tamilvu.org|
|Srirangam, TN location map. Weather-Forecast.com|
|Srirangam Ranganathar temple comlex, Tamil Nadu,Indiatamilnation.co|
Yet another acharya Sri Pillailokacharya, despite his old age, managed to secretly move the deity of Lord Ranganatha (Numperumal) to an unknown place in the south (he died near Thirunelveli) prior to the Muslim invasion. The Thayyar idol was moved over to another destination.
In the ensuing battle against the well-equipped armed raiders from Delhi, the unarmed and defenseless people, who were caught unawares, could not do anything to stop them. In the aftermath, temple record points out that 12,000 Vaishnavites (in Tamil - 'Pannerayiravar mudi tiruthiya pandriazhwan mettu kalagam') lost their precious lives in the process of saving the temple and the remaining people left the place and settled down in adjacent villages such as Tirupachil (now known as Pachoor), Govarthanakudi (now called Kovathakudi), Tiruvarangapatti and Azhagiya Manavalam.
|Ranganathar temple,sriangam 1000 pillar mandap.Pinterest|
Puja rituals for Sri. Ranganathar continued at Gopurapatti village till the reopening of the temple and resumption of regular poojas in the sanctum at Sri Ranganathar temple at Srirangam under Sri Vedanta Desika .
As a mark of respect and homage to the Vaishnavites who lost their lives in 1323 AD during the invasion of Alauddin Khilji's army, annual rituals of ''Tithi'' (Pithroo Karyam) or' Sirardham' for the Pithroos (Ancestors) is being performed on Adi Ammavasai day every year on the banks of the Vaikkal. The Samprokshanam of Gopurapatti Vishnu temple was performed on August 27, 2010.
(corrections made: 10 October 2017)