|The St.John the Baptist church en.wikipedia.org.|
|St.John the Baptist church built by, the Rev. Henry Fischer,1821.en.wikipedia.org|
|The St.John the Baptist church,Meerut. 1821.www.indiamapped.com/|
The St.John the Baptist, or John's Church, is a parish church in the diocese of Agra under Church of North India and is located in the cantonment area of Meerut city in Uttar Pradesh,North India. The church, which was built from 1819 to 1821, is the oldest one in North India and near to this church lies St. John's Church cemetery. It a fine example of an Anglican parish church of the early 1800s.
The parish was founded in 1819 mainly to serve the military people stationed there . The British East India company had a garrison stationed locally and it's founder, British Army chaplain and Church of England clergyman, the Rev. Henry Fischer, was posted to Meerut to take care of the Church services of the Europeans.
The architecture of St John's is very close to that of English parish church, popular before the revival of Gothic style which became a common feature of numerous churches world over. The designer of the church followed the Palladium type of model, most suited for tropical, hot climate with a large open interior space for worship and services. The vast open space allows free air circulation inside the building, keeping the interior cool and cozy displacing stifling, dry temperatures. The high ceiling is an added advantage to keep the interior cool.
The wooden pews and kneeler's brass eagle lectern, marble baptistery, and stained glass windows all date back nearly two centuries. The other antique that draws the attention of the visitors is the 200 year old non-functional pipe organ with manually operated bellows to supply air to the organ.
The parish motto ''Unity, Witness and Service'' found at the entrance implies that parishioners and guests are the same before the church. A total of 10,000 people can be seated in this spacious church at the same time. The Church practices the Anglican rites and the rites of the Book of Common Prayer.
Former name: Saint John the Baptist Garrison Church
Founder: Rev. Henry Fischer
Dedication Rt. Rev. Reginald Heber (Bishop)
Consecrated: 1821Country India
Denomination: Church of North India
Architect: Captain George Hutchinson
Diocese Diocese of Agra
|St. John's Church, Meerut in 2009en.wikipedia.org|
St John's Church follows the Anglican rite and Book of Common Prayer liturgy.
Some of the graves here are pretty old - more than a century old.They include engraved headstones, carved pillars and some very elegant old tombs many of which are in ruins due to weathering process. The grave has overgrown bushes, plants, etc., and is poorly being maintained.