Immaculate Conception CathedralThis 300 year old Immaculate Conception Cathedral - the cathedral mother church for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Pondicherry and Cuddalore is located in the Union territory of Puducherry, South India.
The Jesuit Fathers came to the French colony of Pondicherry as missionaries in 1689 to spread the Gospel of Christ. On a huge plot bought by them, with financial help from Louis XIV, king of France, they erected a church in 1692 to cater to the local Christian population. This was unfortunately demolished by the Dutch in the following year. A second church (1699) could not last long,
|Interior(built in 1791) Immaculate Conception Cathedral |
The present cathedral was built on the foundations of the 3rd Church. On 20 June 1791 the main work aisle,etc was finished and the Church was consecrated by Bishop Champenois. Choir loft and bell tower were added in 1900s. A redesigned esplanade was added in front in the recent past to allow people to take part in liturgical ceremonies and special functions held outside.
Also known as "Samba Kovil" in Tamil, which is a local phonetic corrupt form of 'Saint Paul’s Kovil" (where "Kovil" means church), this old church was visited by Mother Teresa during her visit to Puducherry some time back.