Wednesday, 17 December 2014

St.paul church - historical Portuguese church of Diu, India

St.paul church,Diu,Goa,India, shunya.net
St.Paul church,Diu,Goa, India.www.nrigujarati.in
St.Paul Church,Diu,Goa, India 1610 AD  interior.diu.gov.in
 The St. Paul’s Church, named after St. Paul, the  Apostle of Jesus, is located in the town of Diu  in Diu Island  on the west coast of India at the mouth of the Gulf of Cambay and  is considered one of the best examples of baroque architecture (artistic style) in India. Diu, came under the control of the Portuguese colonists in early 16th century.

Very much Similar in design and architecture to the Bom Jesus Basilica in Goa, yet another Portuguese church of Goa, this church is  dedicated to ''Our Lady of Immaculate Conception,'' particularly the facade of the building and the front elevation.  The interior of the church has intricately carved wood work, and impressive spiral-like design of a shell.  The altar  has the image of St. Mary, carefully carved out of a single piece of Burmese teak   The vaulted nave has  beautiful old paintings and statues. Unlike many churches, the religious images  here are made in ivory and  silver and  have strong  native influence.  It is one  among the three surviving churches built by the Portuguese when the island came under their control. It is also one of many beautiful historical churches in India The construction began in 1601 AD and completed in 1610 AD.

The two significant ceremonies  held at the Diu church are the Feast of the Eleven Thousand Virgins to mark the commencement of the school year and the other is on 25 January to mark the conversion of St. Paul.

Mass singing  and processions are part of the church services here.
www.ixigo.com/st-pauls-church-diu-india